1970 - Bug Project Day (-2)

Found a Beetle its a 1970 Convertible.

The pictures are hard to distinguish exactly how good of shape it is in but I have formulated a few questions and talked to the guy who is listing it on CraigsList near Orlando.  Here are my Questions I asked.

1. What shape are the heater channels in? His answer I think they are pretty much in tact and I have looked at them and it seems there is not much rust on them. They are all pretty solid.
2. Does it run? Yes it runs, but it has a flat and I don't think the tire will hold air.
3. Do the Doors Close? Yes they are fairly tight and there is no sag.
4. will we be able to get it in gear? Yes we should be able to put it on a trailer.
5. Has it been in any wrecks? No it seems like it is in pretty good shape. I bought it to restore it and just didn't have the time so I was asking the same questions. ALSO. I restored a 1965 VW BUS and took me two years so I'm fairly familiar with what to look for and this car is pretty solid.

So after that conversation I felt pretty good. The reason I asked about the heater channels first is because of this article. The Bug Shop Article and I felt that if the heater channels were bad it would not be a car for me. The next question was the engine to know if it needed to be replaced, and since it will run that means the rest is just tuneup and adjustments and cleaning.

So now I found a car, I'm ready to go look at it and ready to formulate how "complete" the car is. What is missing. I think I will spend about an hour trying to go through the above articles scoring to see if I can make my own assessment of the long term value of the car.

1. SOLID . Good base vehicle that is not a pile of junk.
2. COMPLETE . Has all the parts to it.
3. CORRECT . Has all the original parts.
4. ORIGINAL . What is original and what has been added.

Onto the next step. Go see the car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same ol' issue

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Now onto all the other work