1970 VW Beetle Restore: Shifter Play, Adjusting a Shifter on a 1970 Beetle

I took the bug out for a quick drive around the block to just check the ride again after cleaning it up a little. While driving I noticed that the shifter had a very SLOPPY attitude. It was hard to find first, reverse or any other gear and I believe I started out in 2nd, it was that hard to tell. SO I researched adjusting the shifter....I actually first thought I might need a whole new transmission because I didn't think I could get the car into first gear. I found this link/video, even thought I wasn't grinding this video helped alot.  Here is what the shifter looks like with an "ORIGINAL" shift plate.
Notice the lip on the right side.....(passenger side) this is meant to keep the spring in place, the new replacement plates like mine have two lips one on each side.  like the image below.

My plate is the new replacement one. Also when I pulled mine open. Imagine what I found. the plate was upside down.....wow. Then I started thinking I am probably the 3rd or 4th owner and I am sure they didn't have youtube around to see the error of their ways. SO I flipped it over. added grease to the shifter coupler (where the ball of the shift lever is inserted into the car) as seen in the image on the left with the grease.

I then put the two bolts in tight enough to be shifted and the hole mechanism slides. I shifter into first, second, 3rd and fourth.....This adjusted the plate, then I was sure to tighten the whole thing down snug.
Once tightened down I made sure I could shift securely into all gears, and the play was not 100% gone but I could shift clearly into all the gears and I could tell what was 1st, 2nd. 3rd, & 4th and everything seemed a lot better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same ol' issue

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Now onto all the other work