Got it and it runs.....but will not idle

So day 1, got the beetle, hauled it on a trailer and got it home. Was able to get it running and it was able to go around the block.....but it won't idle. so the first step is going to be a Carb rebuild. I think it will be a good move to clean it take it apart and make sure it is all correctly functioning before I move to some other potential issue.

Here are a few other details now that I have the beetle.
1. It has its original motor. Numbered and German writing and all...I was very happy about this.
2. The pictures were fairly accurate and everything that I thought was missing is missing....so as expected.
3. The tires need replacing, since one of them has the radial seperating. Would have like to keep these since they look pretty good.
4. The interior is in bad shape....as the pictures indicated but the dashboard is probably not salvageable and the knobs and all are fairly decent and will look great since they are original.
5. I had though one of the chrome sides of the steering wheel was broke but it turns out the original steering wheel is all complete and in good shape.
6. Since the first step is the Carburetor I found it is a SOLEX 30 pict-2

For now that is the extent of new information once I get the carb rebuilt I will be able to do a better assessment of some of the other potential problem areas, like transmission, suspension and steering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same ol' issue

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Now onto all the other work