1970 VW Beetle Restore: Clutch Tube Noise

While cleaning and starting and doing the normal pressing of the clutch, I noticed that the clutch tube is possibly bad. I hear a rubbing/screetching noise when I press the clutch, coming from right behind the e-brake area. I'm thinking the clutch cable tube is disconnected at one of the mounts, NOT exactly sure where but I think I will need a stethoscope, to listen and find the exact spot. The reason I need the exact spot is I think the only way to repair it is to cut a hole in the center hump channel. This is a very important support beam of the car, and any cut will need to be re-welded shut to add to the integrity of the structural strength of the car.

I found this excellent forum post on Samba called "clutch cable tube repair", I think it is one of the better posts I have seen, I will try to document and update this post when I get to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same ol' issue

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Now onto all the other work