Now onto all the other work

So since I have it running, nicely and it is a constant start and run, I am so excited to be able to move onto the other things. 1. Soak the old Carb (maybe I can reuse it soon). 2. everything else. There is so much to do that I don't know where to start. Here are the things going through my head

  • Sanding down the exterior, sand down prep for painting (or at least so it isn't so ugly right now)
  • Working on the interior floors, Take them to metal and coat/protect/paint
  • Sand down the rims, for painting (might need to take them to a powder coater to clean and redo)
  • Replace the Crankshaft pulley & Alternator Pulley, and Belt (Have a new one just need to swap out, but the pulley, as I have read is a bear to remove)
  • Tear down the seats and cover them with new upholstery ( I think I just get seat covers for now and recover them later since I have a lot of work and I am sure being dirty and in and out will not mix with new interior.
So here is what I have decided, 1. Sand a little to see what the effort is to remove the ugly from the current outside of the bug. 2. Sand a little on the rims to see what the effort is to get them ready to be coated/painted. 3. Replace the Crankshaft pulley and Alternator pulley and belt. 4. Get seat covers for the time being. CHEAP ones since I may mess them up and they are only temporary.

1. I sanded a small area on the back quarter panel and found that it is pretty simple and not hard with the right tool to sand to bare metal, it looks like the car has been painted about 3 times, (blue, then yellow/cream, then white with bubble gum splotches) The last paint job is what is on there now and is horrible. Picture to come soon.

<pictures)

2. I sanded down some of the rim to see if it is worth my effort to do. It looks like I should take it somewhere and have them do it since it is what they do and is probably easier for them my time it would take about 12 hrs (estimated) for each rim.


As you can see this is a chore and after about 45 minutes I got this far. I did the next 2 in about another 45 minutes, and that was not even all of the paint removed, ALSO the Pink is a paint over, and under that is black powder coating.













Yes a Serious Chore to remove this from all 4 rims.

The next step is to change out the Pulley and I will cover that in the next post. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Same ol' issue