1970 VW Beetle Restore: Taking out the Dashboard.

I was literally just looking at all the things I need to do and as I got the urge I started doing things. One thing I did was take out the Dashboard. It was not salvageable and so I decided it needed to go. Also, I knew I could get by without it since it is really just cosmetic and it can be replaced at anytime. I first started by removing all the knobs, I have 5 primary ones, Lights, Emergency, windshield wipers and 2 vents. the lights emergency and windshield wipers screw off counter-clockwise, the vent knobs just pop off. there is also a small switch looking black round recessed hole with a small red circle button that has a white "B" on it. When I tok this apart last night I had no idea what it was....but it does not unscrew....at least mine didn't....and I had to pull the dash lining from behind it.

Anyway after doing a quick internet search the small red button with the white "B" on it is actually the 1970's version of a high tech test light which will light up when there is something wrong with the brakes master cylinder....in essence if there is low fluid in the brake master cylinder which could indicate a potential brake failure this red button with a small light behind it would light up. Currently if I push the button a little light comes on lighting up the red button. The reason it lights when you push it is because it shows that the light is still working.

I continue.....I got all of these off then as I was struggling to get the dash off by pulling, I realized that there are actually small 10mm nuts on the back of a flange mechanism that holds the dash in place. these small nuts are accessible from under the front of the dash through the front hood with it open. There are four of them, 1 on each end and then 2 more behind the "oh shit" handle just above the glove box.

Trust me I didn't find out that I could take these nuts off until I had tried reaching through the small opening on the left side of the dash, then repeatedly looking under the dash for how to get behind it to realizing that there is no under dash, nor behind dash just a straight slab of steel that makes the inside look clean but isn't conducive to me getting behind it. Then I realized if I open the hood, there is a lot of light coming into the front through the dash...duh those nuts are right there in the front under the hood...

When I get a new dashboard in I think it will be a much easier install by mounting it through the dash into the original holes and then tightening the bolts. I'm just making the assumption but it seems pretty straight forward. I am almost wondering if I couldn't just shine up the dash as it is and have it painted it might look a little more classic....even though it wouldn't be the original 1970 vinyl/plastic dash. Possibly cheaper to accomplish in the long run and would last longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same ol' issue

Removing the Crankshaft pulley on a 1970 VW bug

Now onto all the other work